Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Totes for a Cause

Ever since I traveled through London last summer, I've been smitten with cotton shoppers, otherwise known as totes in the States. I came back with 3 totes as souvenirs, 2 from museum gift shops and 1 that came as a freebie from a UK magazine.

Since then, my radar and preference has been for these light-weight and environmentally-friendly bags, whereby I'm actually putting away my luxury handbags (the horror!) and using these bags for my every day use.

I was as obsessed as all the fashionistas last year when the Anya Hindmarch "I'm Not a Plastic Bag" came out, and boy, did I look everywhere for it, but I did not succumb to the obnoxious price inflations on eBay for the latest "It" bag. I merely moved on, and found my own version of the "It" bag...hehe...

Anyhow, I'm seeing more and more that many organizations, corporate or non-profit, are using these bags to send loud and clear messages, whether they are for the environment or other civic/political lamentations. Here are some that you may want to invest in, as they are all for a good cause.

World Food Programme Feed Bag - reversible
Every FEED bag sold will feed one child for a whole year in school


"A bag for a good cause -- the FEED bag is modeled after the grain bags used to deliver food to schools in need around the world. A sturdy reversible bag, made out of natural burlap and cotton, it is a tangible way to make a difference in the fight against world hunger."

Origins 100% Organic Cotton Canvas Reusable Shopping Bag
"I Don't Get Wasted"

100% of the profits from the purchase of this bag will be donated to the
Organic Farming Research Foundation



"Toting this 100% certified organic cotton canvas bag when you shop makes great eco-sense. Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. That comes out to over one million per minute. Billions of these bags end up as litter or in landfills each year. And to make the billions of paper grocery bags used annually, millions of trees are felled each year. The OFRF fosters the improvement and widespread adoption of local organic farming practices by sponsoring research and education projects; disseminating the results to organic farmers and growers interested in adopting organic production systems and educating the public and decision-makers about organic farming issues."

Hayden-Harnett "Green is Good" Tote
100% of proceeds from sale of GREEN IS GOOD organic cotton tote supports Farm Aid


"Help support organic, sustainable farming practices and education with the purchase of our exclusive "GREEN IS GOOD" organic cotton eco-tote. Promoting green farming is a great way to help the environment and ourselves. Using this eco- friendly tote, rather than plastic bags, is another great way to be kind to our planet. Farm Aid promotes local, organic, and sustainable farming through education and training."

Cara Zavaleta "Green is the new Black" Tote
a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Carbon fund


While they're not THE most fashionable bags in the world, they are for a very good cause, so swap out your bags once in a while and make a difference. :)

World Food Programme "Feed" Bag - $59.95 at Amazon

Origins 100% Organic Cotton Canvas Reusable Shopping Bag - "I Don't Get Wasted" - $10 at Macy's

"Green is Good" Tote - $27 at Hayden-Harnett

"Green is the new Black" Tote - $12 at Cara Zavaleta

Source

2 comments:

Bagaholicboy said...

oh god i want the cara zavaleta tote! anyway you could grab one for me?

Likky said...

we can talk offline, but if you email me your address, I'll found out the shipping, then you let me know if you still want it (int'l shipping is always a b*tch!). I would prefer payment by PayPal beforehand if that's ok. let me know if you're still interested.