Wednesday, April 30, 2008

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Is it me or does she look eerily like Goldie Hawn here, esp. w/ that expression?

People magazine just posted a sneak peek of their "100 Most Beautiful People in the World" list, and looking at the previews, I can't say I'm too impressed. As a kid, this was THE list to look forward to each year, because in the time before the Internet (I'm dating myself here), TMZ, and all of those entertainment news outlets that barrage our every days now, there was a mystique as to the way People selected their beauties, gorgeous photos were dedicated just for this issue, and of course, celebs all wanted to make it on this coveted list.

However, I've all but stopped buying these issues in the past 5 years or so because these lists have less to do with beauty and more to do with popularity. People post the people who are in the news the most. They post the celebs who frequently appear in their covers anyways. There are also way more beautiful pictorials from many other magazines, such as Vanity Fair, Vogue, and W. The photos in People are designed to be "friendly" and "comfortable," and they never push the envelope. What does this all mean? DRABNESS. The photos are dull, the people they pick are dull, therefore, the magazine is dull.

I don't know if I agree that Kate Hudson should have been their cover girl. Yeah, she's all sunny and bright, but to be THE most beautiful?!? No, I don't think so. Maybe back when she had a hit with "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days," I thought she was adorable in that, and much prettier, but she's pretty worn out looking these days. The Cantonese term I can think of is "chahn." Just, she's not who I would've picked.


I mean, they put Rumer Willis on the list, and sorry if this is mean, but she's pretty darn fug. What has she done? Nothing but be the spawn of Demi and Bruce. Everybody on the list is pretty blah and predictable. Eva Longoria, check. Jessica Alba, check. Carrie Underwood, check.

The only person I liked from the sneak peek was Salma Hayek. There is no debate from me that she should be on this list; she is absolutely stunning!


And at least the cast of "Gossip Girl" made it on. Again, is that because they are THE most beautiful, or because they are the hottest cast on television now? You be the judge.


Source

No comments: