Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kenneth and Ella, a future power couple on TVB?

Being sick is a great time to catch up with a lot of movies and TV shows. While I have very few fave American shows (Lost, Project Runway, Heroes, America's Next Top Model, Gossip Girl, to name a few), I am more than likely to be watching Hong Kong TV shows, 100% TVB. The last one I just finished is Survivor's Law II, a sequel to the 2003 version that made stars out of Raymond Lam and Myolie Wu. This time around, the main cast includes Kenneth Ma and Ella Koon.


I have to preface this by saying that the ending sucked. I mean, it was really bad, rushed, horrible, horrible. BUT, if you ignore the last 3 episodes, the chemistry between Kenneth and Ella was palpable and cheeky, a la Bruce Willis' 1980's "Moonlighting" mixed with a little "Pride & Prejudice." The endless squabbling in the beginning was only endearing in that the main characters were likable on their own. Both Kenneth and Ella have been some of my fave actors in TVB, so I was really glad that they were given a chance to headline their own series. Both of their characters exemplify the polarizing clichés of rich pretty girl vs. gruff rough-around-the-edges repented bad boy, but they overcome this to become a couple you are always rooting for, even to the end.


My favorite scene has to be in chapter 3, between 1:05-1:35, when Ella checks her messages from a disgruntled Kenneth, whom she'd just met. If you can understand Cantonese, this is a ROFL moment that I had to re-watch at least 3 times! The English translation does no justice to Kenneth's deliverance.



Right after this scene, there is also a funny ringtone that I wish I could put on my phone. The incessant nagging of his voice makes it all the more hilarious.

Watch this series for the funny and cute scenes, not for the pathetic storyline between Sammul Chan and Selena Li (as you can see, I don't even want to mention them when talking about this series). :p Not for nothing, but Ella's wardrobe is to die for, and worth checking out the series just to see her fabulous clothes, shoes, and bags! I look forward to seeing Kenneth and Ella as a couple again in future series. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

No comments: