Friday, May 2, 2008

Losing the Age of Innocence - PLEASE HELP!!!


Last spring, I was out in the Berkshires for a friend's wedding, when my honey and I decided to visit "The Mount," Edith Wharton's estate. The unique aspect of the home and gardens was that she designed the entire property herself. Wharton is best known for her novels, such as "The Age of Innocence" and "House of Mirth." However, later in her life, she actually published the first books on home decorating. She was there before Martha Stewart ever came along!


So I was sad to read that "The Mount" is in danger of being foreclosed. Can't historic landmarks be exempt from a recession? Much time and money were spent renovating the home back to its former grandeur. However, the estate has less than one month now to raise over $3M to keep it alive as both a landmark and museum to the legacy of Edith Wharton.


I don't get many readers to this site, and maybe my one little voice won't make much of a difference, but I hope that you will donate something, anything, to keep this estate alive! When I was there, while the interiors were modest, and much of the original furniture is no longer there, it really was beautifully renovated, and it would be a huge shame if this property is never public for people to see again. This is where Wharton wrote some of the most beautiful and classic American novels! England has Jane Austen, we have Edith Wharton! Keep it open, and keep it alive!


For me, seeing the home made me relive all those novels and films that were so romantic when I experienced them as a youngster, no matter if the endings were happy or not. So please, I hope you can contribute to keep her legacy alive. I have donated. Will you please do?

PLEASE DONATE HERE!!! :D

Source & Source

No comments: