Monday, May 19, 2008

Iron Man, my hero...


I saw "Iron Man" this past weekend, and it was awesome!!!! And do you know who made it awesome? Robert Downey Jr. He's SOOOO good as Tony Stark, never mind the playboy attitude and smooth player who talks a mile a minute and can't remember the names of the women he slept with. I walked into the theatre knowing nothing about this superhero, who in my mind always looked a tad dated and lame, 'cause his iron mask doesn't elicit much excitement (like a tin-can droid from the 50's), but after seeing his evolution from man to hero, I can't wait to see the sequel.


I know I said that I'm a fan of period dramas, but I have a soft spot for action movies, too, esp. if they're done well. I think this was one of the more memorable and likable comic book films I've seen in a long, long time. I've seen almost all that have come out (Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men, Sin City), but this is one where I could re-watch it and still enjoy it. Jon Favreau really did a great job directing, and the editing really makes the film jaunt along. Love the comedic timing. Terrence Howard was also very likable as the best friend, and you can totally see him as the wing man if him and RDJ ever hung out in a bar together.

My only complaint is Gwyneth Paltrow as a modern damsel-in-distress. She didn't have any blood-curdling screams like Kirsten Dunst in Spiderman 3, but still, couldn't she have done more than wander around in 6-inch stilettos? The sexual chemistry was good in that they stayed platonic, but still.....there needs to be an Iron Woman or something!? Enough of this prim-and-proper-assistant crap.

If you haven't seen it yet, go check it out before all of the other blockbusters knock it out of the bigger screens!


Iron Man, in theatres now.

Source & Source

No comments: