Monday, May 19, 2008

Hello Kitty is tourism ambassador


Hello Kitty has been appointed goodwill tourism ambassador for Japan. Under the "Visit Japan Campaign," they hope to attract 10 million visitors by 2010. Hello Kitty will be focused on attracting visitors from China and Hong Kong.

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised by this little piece of marketing. Growing up as a child, I was milk-fed Sanrio products like any other Asian baby, and my most vivid memories of Hong Kong were that you couldn't escape Hello Kitty if you wanted to. Therefore, it is very strange that Japan is being so specific and exact in announcing their goal to attract more Chinese visitors.

Perhaps, due to the state of China's economic boom, they thought that this would be a friendly and unimposing way to welcome more tourism with a recognized but beloved face. However, the timing seems rather off, due to the tragedy of the Chinese earthquake that has shattered many lives. I wonder if they thought of that before they made the announcement. :p

For more info. on visiting Japan (beautiful country, I actually can't wait to go again!), visit their official site, Yokoso! Japan.

Source

No comments: