Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I would love to accept your rose...


While I haven't posted much on this topic, I must confess that I'm an avid viewer of reality shows, although they mostly fall into the areas of fashion ("Project Runway", "America's Next Top Model") or food ("Top Chef, "Iron Chef"). Sometimes I watch "American Idol" (currently rooting for David Cook, only after hearing his rendition of Mariah Carey's Always Be My Baby), and I still enjoy "The Apprentice" for the ridiculous pseudo-corporate America drama, but my guiltiest pleasure has to be "The Bachelor." This time around, it's "The Bachelorette," and I'm really rooting for DeAnna Pappas to find true love.

Many years ago, a friend talked me into joining her and her co-worker to apply for "The Bachelor." It was a very strange experience, and one that I certainly didn't prepare for, as it was short-notice, and I literally knew about it 2 hours before I walked into what looked like herded lambs ready for their sacrifice. Granted, the only thing different was that the women there wanted to be there, of course. Sans make-up and a hot outfit, I blended in like a pale leaf, while all of the other women, who REALLY wanted to be chosen, got dolled up, and tried to look hotter than the next, hoping to impress the producers. I could hear them being interviewed, spouting their dreams and desires for their knight in shining armor, and I could all but gag. At the time, at a mere 23 years old, marriage was the last thing on my mind, and I only went to see out of boredom and curiosity. When it was my turn, I found myself making up stuff about how I wanted to get married w/ the next man I met, and that this would be the perfect platform to meet him. Standing under hot lights and answering questions from a very good-looking guy (heck, he could've been meeting lots of chicks, that's how cute he was, but he was obviously there to make the women more comfortable and relaxed), I could all but hold back a smirk and snort before the interview session was over, a sense of relief hiding the fact that this can't be real, these women around me didn't REALLY want to meet their future husband on a reality show, did they? Anyhow, now that you have learned about one of my more horrifying and embarrassing moments, it should be mentioned that I still enjoy the series, despite the normally lackluster men who ARE chosen to be the bachelor, and the silly women who go on this show to fight for his love.

I really liked DeAnna when she was one of the women who might have been chosen by the bachelor had he not been so misleading and decided that despite their love and chemistry for each other, he couldn't see a life with her, and just ended it. She was pretty, sweet, and something about her made it feel like she could be your friend, too. What guy wouldn't want to be with her? Alas, the idiot didn't even want to try it out, not even date outside of the show, which leads me to think he was in it only to see what it was like to have 25 women fighting for him. All of us girls know what it's like to have your heart broken, and not understand the WHY. Ladies, as the bestseller already lays out so eloquently, "He's Just Not That Into You." Sometimes, there are no answers, and you just have to move on.

Move on DeAnna does, where this time she's in charge, as the bachelorette, to figure out of the 25 men vying for her, who could be her future love. I watched it last night, and those men were either nerdy, scary, or both. If I ever met these guys in a bar or party, I'd quickly steer clear of them. Some of them were so smug, so righteous, I felt like smacking them in the back of the head and telling them to haul ass. The only one who I recall who might be great for DeAnna is Richard, the really dorky, shy, science teacher who actually is pretty cute, but, uh, yeah, dorky. He was less intense, which I think is how a first meeting should go, not like that martial arts instructor who's kicking lemons off of people's heads (violent tendencies?), or the Greek guy who tries to impress DeAnna by speaking in Greek (she's part Greek, too), but bores his eyes through her like he owns her, or the lawyers and bankers who think their nice suits and job titles instantly make them desirable.

Deanna & Richard - future couple?

Maybe you think I've been harping on this topic for far too long, but I think the reason I love this show is because you get to see how a couple falls in love, regardless if it lasts or not. I think of all the things we struggle for, love is one of those intangibles we simply can't live without.


The Bachelorette, Mondays at 9PM EST on ABC

No comments: