Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Congrats to Tang Wei!


Congrats to Tang Wei 湯唯 for winning the 2008 Chopard Trophy at Cannes, awarded each year to actors on the rise. Considering that she has been virtually blacklisted in China for her work (nudity, portraying traitors, all big no-nos in the eyes of the Communist government), this is certainly a bright spot in her young career.

I actually very much enjoyed her performance in "Lust, Caution," so although I haven't seen any of her other work, I look forward to seeing more.


And despite the devastating earthquake in China, she still showed her support when she won her award.

"Thanks Chopard for this award. It's an honor for a new actress to be recognized. This means a lot to me. I'm grateful to be here. At the same time my heart is with the people affected by the Sichuan earthquake. I would like to thank everybody for the immediate and continuous support to the disaster in China and in other disasters around the world. Also, I wish to say a special thank you to Chopard and Roberto Cavalli for the personal donation to aid in the earthquake recovery. Thank you for this honor again."

In case you're wondering, not only did she thank Roberto Cavalli, but she was also wearing his design. And she was wearing Chopard jewels! Sneaky, sneaky!

Source & Source & Source & Source

No comments: