Friday, May 2, 2008

Camera Crazy


My honey is gonna kill me, because I am going to cheat on him. I am seriously thinking of betraying him.

Let me start from the beginning. For many years now, I've always wanted a wonderful, professional camera, for the mere trivial reasons that I wanted to experiment and become some avant-garde photographer, and catch those split-second moments, then decorate my entire abode with those magical shots. Two Christmases ago he indulged me and bought me a wonderful digital SLR camera, a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. I was very snap-happy for a few months, but the last time I probably touched it was last summer, when I lugged it around London. I love that camera to death, but I must confess that it had several weaknesses.

1) I despise reading instruction manuals, so the functions of the camera have yet to be explored. Not understanding its true powers meant I only picked it up to take basic photos, which makes this not the first camera of choice if I can pick up a smaller, lighter one.

2) As I said, it's easier to pick up a smaller, lighter camera, so this puts my Rebel in defunct for any vacations, etc., 'cause the last thing I want to do is lug a heavy camera around when I'm aiming to travel light. The only time I feel like taking photos is when I'm on vacation or driving. As a heavy commuter, I must say, there is a LOT to observe when behind the wheel. I've seen the most beautiful moments of nature driving on an empty highway. Those were the only times I wish I had a camera on me. Anyhow, so since I tend to not desire taking photographs outside of vacationing or driving, I end up leaving it all at home.

So what is compelling me to want to splurge on some crappy, plastic cameras? Well, for one thing, I am mesmerized by some of the galleries I've seen. I love that blurry, surreal effect from this line of Diana cameras, which were very popular in the 1970s. Urban Outfitters is selling 4 different versions of the camera, and I am still trying to figure out which one would be right for me. For instance, what's the difference between a Diana+ and a Diana F+; the flash? It's not a digital camera, by far, it's as old-school as you can get, utilizing film when no one does that anymore.

Diana Dreamer Camera

Diana F+ Camera

Diana+ Edelweiss Camera

Diana+ Camera

I love the look of a vintage camera, too. Maybe I am being suckered by the look of the camera's body and nothing more, but for the price, I think it is an inexpensive entry into playing with photography again. It's light, small, I won't feel bad if I accidentally dropped it (:P), so why not? And anyhow, with our rebate checks coming in the mail from the gov't, this is a perfect splurge to help stimulate the economy, right?

If anyone knows anything about these cameras, please let me know which one you prefer! And oh yeah, I hope my honey accepts the fact that I'm moving from a Canon to a Diana...!

Diana Dreamer Camera - $60

Diana F+ Camera - $95


Diana+ Camera - $50

All Available at Urban Outfitters

No comments: