Wednesday, April 9, 2008

all dolled up and smelling sweet

I am not ashamed to admit that I have bought things purely for their aesthetics, regardless of the function of the item, especially where beauty and fragrances are concerned. I have bought Shu Uemura's entire line of cleansing oils just because I love the artwork by Ai Yamaguchi that adorned the limited edition bottles.


I have bought make-up from Pupa Cosmetics because I love the containers that the make-up came in, my favorite being an abstract Little Red Riding Hood. For all intents and purposes, I am still working my way through using all of these products, since I justified I was buying art and paid a premium, but there are only so many hours in so many days to use all of these products up.


So someone please stop me before I buy more! I was immediately smitten when I saw these cute fragrance bottles called Harajuku Lovers, a line of different scents from Gwen Stefani. My favorite is the Gwen figure (who in essence is Alice in Wonderland, one of my all-time faves). I don't even care if the scent smells good. Just the cute little figures are enough for me to get one. How absurdly adorable are these?!?


In learning more about their marketing strategy, it certainly sounds like they fully intend to sell the fragrances based on the appeal of the cute, whimsical bottles.

"The scents will each be available in two sizes: $45 for 30 ml. and $25 for 10 ml. A coffret, which includes solid perfume versions of all five, will be on counter later this fall as a permanent addition to the collection, and will retail for $60. "They're value-priced to encourage multiple purchases," said Catherine Walsh, senior vice president of American Fragrances for Coty Prestige, adding, "While we're not the first to launch multiple scents at once, I do believe that we're one of the few to launch five extremely different scents at once."

In the U.S., certain retailers — including Macy's West — intend to install such fan-appealing features as 5-foot versions of the fragrance dolls and a photo booth where customers can take their pictures with the characters."

Shrewd, maybe, but they don't pretend that they are not trying to make money off of the look, and they have priced it so that anyone who wants to spend money on them can afford to. I like that idea very much.

I have not purchased fragrances in a long time, mainly because I am very picky about the scents. However, I do look forward to seeing this line in the stores and checking them out.

Oh yeah, doesn't this look inspired by LV from last season? It's catching on still (but a lot less blatant than the United Colors of Benetton's campaign). I know, I'm a little obsessed over this. :p


Source & Source & Source

No comments: